Got my first review for KICK ASSITUDE this weekend. My thanks to Beth Hoover of Tome Tender for the four stars she gave me!!
Here’s the review:
Rated 4 stars
“Twila Taunton has just moved back to her home town of Quisby, Alabama. She is starting up her own detective agency/ real estate office. Recently having her mother murdered, Twila’s main goal…use her detective skills and discover the murderer’s identity.
Twila and her side kick, Scratch, scour the surrounding areas for clues in the unsolved murder. Her investigation stirs up some trouble and now, her and her family are being threatened…which only tells Twila she’s getting close to the truth.
Somehow each clue that is uncovered leads to multiple murders in this little Alabama town. Facing down unknown assailants, marriage proposals and other propositions…Twila must carefully arrange to keep everyone safe and solve the mystery before someone else is murdered.
Kick Assitude was a fun and enjoyable read. Twila is a self proclaimed “redneck” and watching her navigate through her world was extremely entertaining. No this isn’t one of my normal paranormal reads, although there is talk of ghosts. I really found following Twila through her adventure very pleasurable. Trish Jackson created a strong connection between me the reader and her characters.
Speaking of characters, I have to say Aunt Essie was brilliant! I’m hoping there will be more fabulous adventures with Twila… especially with that ending!
This copy of Kick Assitude was provided by Trish Jackson in exchange for an honest review. This book will be available in March of 2013.”
My thanks to Diana Hawkins, author of romantic suspense novel SHADOWS ALONG THE ZAMBEZI, who recently reviewed my novel, WAY OUT OF LINE.
WAY OUT OF LINE — Keeps You on the Edge of Your Seat
When the ill-fated romance, between 15-year-old Trent and 23-year-old Hal, is discovered by her wealthy parents, they are forced apart. Trent is hustled off to boarding school and Hal is sentenced to prison for 25 years for statutory rape.
Brokenhearted and alone, Hal relies on his cellmate Demetrio, during his brutal incarceration.
Meanwhile, Trent is wracked with guilt for lying about her age and pines for her lost love. While in college she joins a harsh religious cult, whose leader promises to ease her mental anguish.
After more than a decade in prison, Hal and Demetrio escape during an earthquake and cross into Mexico, where a friend helps them flee to Africa.
Not long afterwards Trent is kidnapped and held for ransom by a Mozambiquen freedom fighter, wanting money for his cause.
Unbeknownst to both Hal and Trent, they end up just a few miles apart in war-torn, Mozambique. After they have both survived years of abuse, deprivation, and near-death experiences, will Hal and Trent meet again and rekindle their love?
By Diana M. Hawkins, author of Shadows along the Zambezi.
A Chance to Read Redneck P.I. before its sequel, Kick Assitude is released on March 15th, 2013.
Go to my website http://www.trishjackson.com to find the link to enter the drawing.
Now for some mind exercises:
Find the B
Find the 6
Find the N
And if you think spelling is important try this:
I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno’t mtaetr in what oerdr the ltteres in a word are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is that the frsit and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it whotuit a pboerlm. This is bcuseaethe huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Azanmig huh?
Sharla Shults has tagged me in the 7 line challenge. http://catnipoflife.wordpress.com/2013/01/12/7-writers-get-to-strut-their-stuff-the-seven-line-challenge/
This means I get to choose seven lines from page 7 or 77 of any of my books, and post them here.
In this scene, redneck girl Twila Taunton is attending a company picnic in a park somewhere in the Boston area. The picnic is way too lame and civilized for her. Here’s an except of her take on it — seven lines starting at the seventh line down on page seven.
A real picnic is held in the boondocks near a creek or a lake,
with a plastic tablecloth spread over a folding table. Everyone drinks beer out of bottles. The meat is barbecued and thrown into buns, and eaten off paper plates with corn and beans, using plastic utensils. Afterward those who aren’t fishing will maybe join in the football game. Everyone always ends up in the water, usually stripped down to their…
I’m currently giving away a print copy of REDNECK P.I. on Goodreads. Go to my website to enter the drawing — http://www.trishjackson.com
KICK ASSITUDE, the sequel to Redneck P.I., (romantic suspense/comedy) is due to be released on March 15th, 2013. Here’s a link to the trailer.
To keep the challenge going, I have tagged seven more wonderful authors with whom I network and whose subject matter is very diverse. Follow the links to their blogs to see what they come up with.
Martha Love http://instinctualgutfeelings.blogspot.com
Cynthia Ainsworthe www.cynthiaswordsandpassion.blogspot.com
Linda Hales http://www.linnieslittlebooks.com/blog
Stuart Carruthers http://oldwordsnewplaces.blogspot.tw/
Clint Evans http://hipchickfitness.com/articles/
R.L. Cherry http://rlcherry.com
Cherrye Vasquez http://www.BooksThatSow.com
This is your mission: Go to line 7 on either page 7 or page 77 of your manuscript and do a post on your blog with the next 7 lines, then tag 7 people to keep the challenge going! This a short and savvy way to see what others out there in the blogosphere are writing.
The Next Big Thing is a meme that is creating an ever-growing wave through the blogs of authors who write in a variety of genres, with each participant answering the same questions about either a work in progress or a work currently being marketed. Each author then chooses other authors to keep the chain going. The following is my contribution:
- What is the title of your book? KICK ASSITUDE
- How did you come by the idea? It’s the sequel to REDNECK P.I. and I knew there would have to be a sequel when I was writing it. In the first book, Twila Taunton, self-professed redneck girl is in “Yankee territory” up north. When her mother is murdered in her home town of Quisby, Alabama, she vows to hunt down the killers and bring them to justice.In this upcoming book, which my publisher is releasing on March 15th, 2013, Twila has returned to Quisby to fulfill her promise, even though it means her relationship with hunky Harland O’Connor has to be long distance.
- What genre does your book fall under? Romantic suspense/comedy
- Which actors would you choose to play your characters if it were a movie? Melissa McCarthy after she’s been on The Biggest Loser would make a great Twila, and I’d love to see a blonde-haired Ian Somerholder acting as Harland. Yum yum! For Tanner Ferrano I would choose Ramon Rodriguez.
- What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book? Redneck girl Twila Taunton juggles her love-life while she follows a secret code in an effort to solve her mother’s murder.
- Will your book be self-published or traditional?My publisher, Uncial Press is handling the eBook version, and I’ll self-publish the print books.
- How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript? Only about four months. I was lucky with this one – it was all already there in my subconscious mind.
- What other books would you compare this story to within your genre? My book is unique, but the humor may be similar to Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum series.
- Who or what inspired you to write this book? I live in the country and meet people who may be considered to be rednecks every day, and I come from Africa, so I find them fascinating – and nice. Click here to see my definition of a redneck.
- What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest? Readers who like hot, romantic love scenes will not be disappointed. Twila is torn between her long-distance lover Harland, and horny local cowboy, Tanner Ferrano, whose main mission in life is to get into her pants.
Also… Those who love animals will enjoy Twila’s dog Scratch, who rides on the back of her Harley with her.
And who wouldn’t love Great Aunt Essie, who smokes weed for “medicinal purposes”, drinks Jim Beam, and rides a Harley.
Add a few ghosts, a haunted mansion and man-eating wild boars for the fright junkies, and I think there’s a little of something for everyone.
The authors I’ve chosen to continue the chain are:
Remember – KICK ASSITUDE will be available from Uncial Press and Amazon on March 15th, 2013.
Click here to check out the book trailer for more info about it.
Click here to read the first chapter.
What is a redneck, anyhow? Click here to find out my take on it.
Peace, love and happy reading!!